Monday, March 19, 2012

Stretch and Release

When I was in my early 20's I had some large ear piercings (think pencil sized hole in my ear lobe), but if you looked at my ears today, you would only notice a small hole where the piercings used to be. That's because human skin has an amazing amount of elasticity (think rubber band). Skin can stretch it to a certain point, and generally it snaps back into place (assuming that we take the right steps).  But there is a certain point where our skin has stretched beyond it's ability to snap back into place (think about someone who has huge holes where ear lobes used to be).

The same is true with our spirituality, life, and ministry. It's why God set up the world with stress and release  times (day and night, week and weekend, etc). It's why we've structured our Life Groups in 12 week sessions (stretch) with 1 month breaks (release) between sessions.

It is also the reason that I want you to pray about this Summer. God has designed us to have ministry times of stretch and release, but I've seen too many leaders over the years who have not listened to God's voice in this area, and have pushed themselves to burn out. When that happens, they usually end up getting disconnected from God, and angry at the church and the ministry that they serve in.  Friends, I care about you to much to have that happen in any of your lives.

If you've led for the past two or three sessions, I would like you to spend time praying this week about the idea that God might want you to have a break from leading a group this summer, and join a group as a member. Even as I write this, it's a little terrifying, because I realize that many of you fit into this category, and it's unnerving to think about having you take a break. But I believe strongly that release points in your journey will serve you, God's people at New Life, and God's plan for our community far more in the long run.

If you've led for two or three sessions straight, then I would like you to prayerfully consider joining a group as a member instead of leading one this summer.  This is not a command or requirement, but I believe it is an incredible way the coaches team and myself to care for you by making sure that you don't hit burn out.

Here are a few benefits to taking a break:
1) It gives you release time to recharge and get ready for next Spring.
2) It raises up new leaders from your group who can take the mantle of leadership.
3) It allows you to sit under another leader. Getting into a LG as a member is key to recharging. If you simply stop leading and don't join a group, the chances of getting disconnected from God and community go up drastically.


If you have been leading for one session. I would like pray and strongly consider leading again this Summer. God is going to do amazing work  in our church through our groups this summer, and He wants to use seasoned leaders like you to lead the charge as we dive into this new venture.

BY NEXT WEEK:
If you haven't already been in contact with your coach about this Summer, then I'd like you to email them and let them know if you are:

1) MARRIED TO THE IDEA OF LEADING THIS SUMMER: You are definitely leading
2) DATING THE IDEA OF LEADING A GROUP THIS SUMMER: You are considering leading
3) ABSTAINING FROM LEADING A GROUP THIS SUMMER: You are planning to take a break from leading, and will be joining a group as a member. You may fit into this category because you've led for two consecutive sessions, or because God is leading you to other ministry opportunities this fall.

If you have specifics about leading this summer (type of group, day, time, etc) please email that info to your coach as well.

I love serving in this ministry with each of you and pray regularly for you and your group. Have a week!
-Kev

No comments:

Post a Comment