Monday, November 14, 2011

11/13 SERMON: THE CHALLENGE OF GRATITUDE

Friends, 

Each of yo is on my list of things that I'm thankful for this morning! If you have no idea what I'm talking about, check out Ron's message on the Challenge of Gratitude from yesterday!

A few other things that I'm thankful for... 
  • 8 people were baptized on Sunday!
  • The turkey party collected 216 turkeys (up from 166 the year before)!

Here are some notes to help your group go deeper into Sunday's message:
THE CHALLENGE OF GRATITUDE:

Ephesians 5:20Give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. – NLT
1 Thessalonians 5:18Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. – NIV 
Colossians 3:15Always be thankful. – NLT
 
The truth is no less than 70 different times the New Testament addresses the subject of gratitude.
 
  • QUESTION: Why do you think the Bible spends so much time talking about gratitude?
  • QUESTION: How can we be thankful in ALL circumstances? What does it look like to be thankful when everything around you seems to be falling apart?
Philippians 4:4-9 – Be full of joy in the Lord always. I will say again, be full of joy. Let everyone see that you are gentle and kind. The Lord is coming soon. Do not worry about anything, but pray and ask God for everything you need, always giving thanks. And God's peace, which is so great we cannot understand it, will keep your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Brothers and sisters, think about the things that are good and worthy of praise. Think about the things that are true and honorable and right and pure and beautiful and respected. Do what you learned and received from me, what I told you, and what you saw me do. And the God who gives peace will be with you. – NCV
  • Ron asked us to do an evaluation of our lives to help us discern whether or not we are "always giving thanks".  Since Sunday's message how has your life changed in regard to the following three questions?  
    • QUESTION:What specific things have I thanked God for this morning?
    • QUESTION: What specific things have I thanked my family for this morning?
    • QUESTION: What specific things have I thanked someone at church (or work) for this morning?
  • QUESTION:Have you found yourself being more or less thankful as you've walked though this week?

Philippians 4:4-9 – Be full of joy in the Lord always. I will say again, be full of joy. Let everyone see that you are gentle and kind. The Lord is coming soon. Do not worry about anything, but pray and ask God for everything you need, always giving thanks. And God's peace, which is so great we cannot understand it, will keep your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Brothers and sisters, think about the things that are good and worthy of praise. Think about the things that are true and honorable and right and pure and beautiful and respected. Do what you learned and received from me, what I told you, and what you saw me do. And the God who gives peace will be with you. – NCV
  • QUESTION: What types of things fill your mind? Are they things that are true, honorable, right, pure, beautiful and respected?
  • QUESTION: Ron talked about the reality that in life we always have two lists running. On one list are all of things that we can be thankful for, on the other list are all of the things that are going wrong. Which list do you spend more of your time on?
    •  To answer that question think through the following:
      • QUESTION: Which list have I spent most of my time on today?
      • QUESTION: Which list did I spend most of my time on this week?
      • QUESTION: Which list would my family (or close friends) say that I spend most of my time on?
PUTTING IT INTO PRACTICE:
  • QUESTION: What does it practically look like to have a life dominated by gratitude? 
  • QUESTION: Who are some people in your life who have this character trait pretty well locked in?
  • QUESTION: What can you do during this holiday season to grow in the area of gratitude in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment